Hearing aids are becoming increasingly common in the modern world. This type of device can improve your ability to hear the world around you when you are experiencing hearing loss, making it much easier to enjoy your life and make the most of the time you have.
Choosing the right hearing aid for you can be a challenging process. Many people don’t know what they are looking for, and it can be hard to know who to seek help from. Your audiologist will always be willing to support this decision, though you should also do some learning for yourself to get the best results.
The State of Your Hearing Loss
It can be all too easy to mistake your hearing loss for something more serious than it is. While many types of hearing loss are permanent, there are also a lot of different things that can cause temporary conditions like this.
Blockages are a great example of this, being responsible for a lot of different hearing loss issues. You don’t need a hearing aid to deal with a blockage, though, and this means that you should always be looking for help before you get a device like this.
Your audiologist will be able to assess your hearing health and recommend the right treatment for you. If they suggest a hearing aid, you can continue going through this article to see what you need to do next.
Different Types of Hearing Aids
Hearing aids come in loads of shapes and sizes. This makes it worth exploring the different styles available, giving yourself the chance to choose one that will work well for you. It’s important to keep in mind that subtly isn’t the only important factor here; you also need to keep your mind on the features that are best for you.
- In the ear (ITE): In-the-ear hearing aids are designed to be very discrete, sitting inside your ear and being almost invisible.
- Behind the ear (BTE): Behind-the-ear devices are larger, with hooks that hold the hearing aid in place and make them more visible. Hearing aids like this have large controls.
- In the canal (ITC): In-the-canal hearing aids are even more discrete than ITE devices but can be very hard to control if you lack dexterity.
Advanced Hearing Aid Functions and Features
Hearing aids have come a long way in recent years, providing a lot of people with the hearing loss support that they need. Alongside amplifying sounds, many modern hearing aids come with advanced features. It’s worth making sure that you are aware of this before you choose the device for you:
- Bluetooth connectivity: Bluetooth makes it possible to wirelessly connect your hearing aid to your phone and other devices, making it much easier to enjoy entertainment and carry out phone calls when you are living with hearing loss. This type of technology is tried and tested, making it great for most users.
- Rechargeable batteries: Running out of battery power can be a big problem for hearing aid users. Many modern hearing aids use rechargeable batteries that can easily last longer than a day, making it possible to avoid this problem.
- Sound profiles: Different locations can require tweaks to your hearing aid’s settings. Modern hearing aids often allow users to create profiles, saving fiddling with your device when you want to go somewhere.
- Smartphone apps: Alongside giving you profiles, modern hearing aids will also usually be controllable through an app on your smartphone. This makes it much easier to make sure that your device is working properly.
Alternative Hearing Loss Treatments
Hearing loss is a very common issue in the US, and this means that there are loads of different treatments available for it. It’s crucial that you are aware of the treatments available to you before you choose the hearing aid that you will be using. You can talk to your audiologist for help with this.
Audiologists like Hear Here Audiology are great for those who are experiencing hearing loss. Not only can our experts help to determine the state of your hearing, but we can also provide treatments like hearing aids to make sure that you can hear properly in the future. You can call us today at 727-289-1212 to book your appointment and get started with our services.